Verbal job offer and Chapter 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Verbal job offer and Chapter 7?

I received a verbal job offer and was honest with person hiring me about recent Chapter 7 bankruptcy, since it is conditional pending background/credit check. The job is not in finance/police, etc. He told me as long as nothing else shows up in the report we will continue hiring process. I have clean record aside from bk. He was kind of quick and rude on the phone. Should I be worried that offer will be withdrawn? Am I just bugging out? Thanks!

Originally posted by hkusp123 View Post
    I received a verbal job offer and was honest with person hiring me about recent Chapter 7 bankruptcy, since it is conditional pending background/credit check. The job is not in finance/police, etc. He told me as long as nothing else shows up in the report we will continue hiring process. I have clean record aside from bk. He was kind of quick and rude on the phone. Should I be worried that offer will be withdrawn? Am I just bugging out? Thanks!
    I think its best to not bring it up, unless they ask.

You will find out soon if it is a problem. Until then, why worry about it?

Good luck.

Comment

The only thing you can do is see what happens as it is up to the company hiring you if your job is "contingent" on passing a background/credit check. Most people offered jobs are advised this and say, for instance, one doesn't pass the physical, pass the drug test or meet their background/credit hiring standards, you may not get the job.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

yeah, there is no drug test believe it or not, my criminal record clean, and he knows about bk..sooooooooooooooooooooooo.....
        I disagree with post above. I think you have to disclose bk to employers if they running a credit check... It shows integrity, better to hear from you than a background/credit report. Employers view bk and credit as indicators of responsibility, so if you are up front and honest, they usually prefer....

Comment

I think it will really come down to how much they like you. I had one company love me to death, I met with the VP and President and they had me take tests, etc. and they made me a job offer. They then had me sign for a background check and this was before my credit was bad or before bk. They never contacted me after that. I kept calling and email asking what happened and they wouldn't return my calls/emails. I finally emailed them telling them it was a California law that they are required to send me a copy of my background check and that they had better do it immediately. Within 10 minutes they emailed me a copy and it was a perfect background checks with no problems.

So they probably found someone else they liked better or contacted a reference that said something bad about me and were just too chicken to return my calls. But for no reason they immediately ignored me and that was after the verbal job offer. So you never know.

Comment

So true, I was really hoping once we got past the hurdle of bankruptcy that we would be able to find employment. Hubby has been out 1 year this month. He has applied and submitted resumes to over 1000 companies, numerous interviews, and he keeps getting passed over. He has gone to classes to get info on how to interview differently, gone to numerous job fairs and still nothing...

I guess Hubby just interviews really bad and has no prospect of ever getting hired again.
            Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post
              So true, I was really hoping once we got past the hurdle of bankruptcy that we would be able to find employment. Hubby has been out 1 year this month. He has applied and submitted resumes to over 1000 companies, numerous interviews, and he keeps getting passed over. He has gone to classes to get info on how to interview differently, gone to numerous job fairs and still nothing...

I guess Hubby just interviews really bad and has no prospect of ever getting hired again.
              Fallen, bite your tongue. Hubby may not be interviewing badly at all. I have been on tons of interviews for many jobs over the past 10 years and there is usually one mistake or two mistakes I make during an interview. That is just being human. Every interview is different and when you have several people sitting across from you and throwing you out curveball questions, there is simply no way to prepare for all of them.

Also, it is impossible to CLICK with each interviewer. You talk to the interviewers and there always seems to be one person that just does not click with me. Or one of the interviewers just doesn't like something about me or my history or how I answered the question or some subconscious issue or even some prejudicial issue with the way I look (or something like that).

I feel for your hubby, because you can be a perfect match for a position, you can even do a great interview and still not get the job. I have had this happen a lot. Or being human, you simply aren't perfect and even with practice, each interview is different and each human interviewing you is different and has different expectations. It's very possible your hubby interviews good or decent and the hiring company simply makes the wrong hiring decision (I see this all the time as well and even see the same company advertising for the same exact position every 6 months to a year - so they obviously hired the wrong person or just can't provide the resources for anyone to succeed in their company).

And if your hubby makes mistakes sometimes during an interview, this again is being a human being and we all can relate to walking out of the interview and thinking to ourselves, why did I answer that question that way or why did I stumble during that question.

My advice to the hubby is NEVER shoot yourself for making mistakes during an interview. NEVER. Practice and think about how to do it better next time but don't shoot yourself. You are your own best friend.

Comment

Originally posted by hkusp123 View Post
                One thing I really hate about interviews is how much you are downgraded or disrespected as a person. If you are talented, work hard, and have accomplished a lot in the work place, this can be frustrating to have some hiring manager talk down to you and not appreciate your talents and then ultimately not to hire you or to treat you like you are an unimportant piece of beef and send you a rejection letter. This bugs the crap out of me. So just hang in there and know that you aren't alone in this area.

Comment

HelpMe, thanks for your insight. Its been such a bad road we have travelled these past 5 years and each year we think it will get better and it does not. In 20 years of marriage this is the 4th time hubby has been downsized and each time it took us forever to get back on our feet and then we would get wiped out again and again and again.

I'm trying to take the high road and I have for 20 years but I having a very difficult time doing it now.

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
                  Fallen, bite your tongue. Hubby may not be interviewing badly at all. I have been on tons of interviews for many jobs over the past 10 years and there is usually one mistake or two mistakes I make during an interview. That is just being human. Every interview is different and when you have several people sitting across from you and throwing you out curveball questions, there is simply no way to prepare for all of them.

Also, it is impossible to CLICK with each interviewer. You talk to the interviewers and there always seems to be one person that just does not click with me. Or one of the interviewers just doesn't like something about me or my history or how I answered the question or some subconscious issue or even some prejudicial issue with the way I look (or something like that).

I feel for your hubby, because you can be a perfect match for a position, you can even do a great interview and still not get the job. I have had this happen a lot. Or being human, you simply aren't perfect and even with practice, each interview is different and each human interviewing you is different and has different expectations. It's very possible your hubby interviews good or decent and the hiring company simply makes the wrong hiring decision (I see this all the time as well and even see the same company advertising for the same exact position every 6 months to a year - so they obviously hired the wrong person or just can't provide the resources for anyone to succeed in their company).

And if your hubby makes mistakes sometimes during an interview, this again is being a human being and we all can relate to walking out of the interview and thinking to ourselves, why did I answer that question that way or why did I stumble during that question.

My advice to the hubby is NEVER shoot yourself for making mistakes during an interview. NEVER. Practice and think about how to do it better next time but don't shoot yourself. You are your own best friend.
                  Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post
                    HelpMe, thanks for your insight. Its been such a bad road we have travelled these past 5 years and each year we think it will get better and it does not. In 20 years of marriage this is the 4th time hubby has been downsized and each time it took us forever to get back on our feet and then we would get wiped out again and again and again.

I'm trying to take the high road and I have for 20 years but I having a very difficult time doing it now.
                    I can relate to you. I have been going through this in and out of job business for 10 years now. Never had a problem before that. I even went back to college to earn my degree during this recession and still it's the exact same pattern. I have been out of work for 2 years now, but hardcore looking for the past 3 months.

I have an impressive track record and skillset and yet it seems like companies either want to pay half of what I am worth or need a candidate with 19 exact qualifications (having 17 or 18 doesn't matter - the "purple squirrel" that doesn't exist). Or they want a candidate with all the exact skillsets from their exact industry, again, a candidate that is next to impossible to find. It used to be if you were missing one or two skillsets, you could train for them while being employed with the company, even on your own time.

Interviewing and looking for jobs is insanely stressful. Each interview is stressful. Just preparing for it, driving to it, sitting in the lobby nervous, then having to adapt to each interviewer is very frustrating. No matter how hard you prepare, there will be curveball questions or something that just doesn't quite fit during the interview. But eventually it happens.

But I don't want to keep going in and out of this pattern for the rest of my life. That is why I thought the degree would change this, otherwise, why did I go back to school full time for 2 years and why did I go bankrupt and why am I going to lose my house, if nothing has changed and nothing was gained???

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X